Jordan wins thanks to Way 3, 46-44 21 Dec 11

JORDAN – The Jordan Hubmen boys basketball team won Tuesday night after trailing by 12 early in the second half to win 46-44 thanks to a three-pointer from Kevin Way with 10.7 second left in the game to beat Waseca Bluejays in a non-conference game. The Hubmen would be out rebounded 47-29 for the game, but thanks to Waseca’s poor free throw shooting in the second half (1-10) would allow Jordan to hang around in the second half and complete the comeback.

“We were throwing a lot of defenses at Waseca in the second half of the game to confuse them, we only used man-to-man on three or four possessions and they were late in the game,” said Jordan head coach Matt Urbanek.

The first half would see Waseca dominate both the offensive and defensive boards by a margin of 30-10, but only lead 29-21 at the half. Waseca’s Jake Busse would dominate the first half for the Bluejays by getting 10 of his 16 points in the game. Jordan would tie the game 21-21 before a late 8-0 run by Waseca would give them their halftime lead. Jordan received a good bench performance in the game from Nick Heitkamp including five points in the first half of the game.

The second half would see Waseca expand their lead to 12 points early before junior forward Nate Beckman would get hot from behind the arc to help bring Jordan back into the game on quick passes to find him open in the corner. Beckman would make five three-pointers in the game with four coming in the second half to help Jordan get back into the game. Another big change in the second half would see Jordan hang with Waseca on the rebounding side staying even throughout the second half after getting hurt in the first half. Junior forward for Jordan Jake Anderson would also have a better second half scoring 10 of his 15 for the game.

Waseca would lead 44-43 with over a minute left to go. Both teams would turn the ball over on their next possessions before Jordan fouled Brock Kolander with 30 seconds left and he would miss both free throws and Jordan would get the rebound and bring the ball up the floor. Jordan would pass the ball three times before hitting Kevin Way for a three-pointer that would jump around the rim and finally drop with 10.7 seconds left and Waseca would call a timeout. Jordan would apply pressure on the ensuing play before forcing another second half turnover and would win 46-44.

“This was a big turn around for us after getting blown out by LeSueur-Henderson our last game,” senior guard Kevin Way said with a big smile on his face after the game.

Jordan improves to 3-3 on the season and will host Watertown-Mayer on Thursday in Minnesota River Conference action.

By: Adam Bartels