- 2 boneless beef top loin steaks, ¾ inch thick (10 oz. each), trimmed
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 T brown sugar
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- 1-1/2 t. salt
- ¼ t. coarsely ground black pepper or crushed red pepper
- ¼ c. cold water
From oranges, remove 6 strips of peel (1” x 3” each and squeeze ½ cup juice. Heat a 12” nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sprinkle the steaks with ¼ t. salt. Add steaks to skillet and cook 5 minutes on each side or until done.
Combine the orange juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and water; stir until blended.
Transfer cooked steaks to a platter and keep warm. Reduce heat to medium; add orange peel and ¼ t. pepper or red pepper and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add orange juice mixture to skillet and heat to boiling; boil one minute. To serve, cut each steak crosswise in half; pour sauce over steaks. Makes 4 servings.
SAUCY ITALIAN ROAST (Crockpot)
- 1 boneless rump roast (3-3.5 lbs.)
- ½ – 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 4.5 oz. jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 14-oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- ¼-1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
- Hot cooked pasta
Cut the roast in half. Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over roast. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the spaghetti sauce and wine or broth; pour over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Slice roast; serve over pasta with pan juices, which can be thickened with flour and ketchup if desired. Yield is 8-10 servings.
SLOW COOKER POT ROAST WITH CREAMY DILL (Crockpot)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 boneless beef pot roast (about 2 lb), trimmed of fat
- 1 cup beef flavored broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 large onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 bag (16 oz) ready-to-eat baby-cut carrots
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes (about 1-1/4 lb.), unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
In a shallow bowl, mix 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon salt and the white pepper. Place beef on flour mixture; turn to coat evenly.
Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef to skillet; cook about 5 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides and place in the cooker.
In small bowl, mix broth, mustard, garlic and dill weed. Pour over beef. Place onion, carrots and potatoes on top. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning. Cover; cook on Low 9 to 10 hours. Remove beef and vegetables from cooker; place on large serving platter and keep warm.
In small bowl, beat all sauce ingredients except sour cream with wire whisk until smooth. Strain fat from liquid in cooker. Pour liquid into 1-quart saucepan; heat to boiling over high heat. Stir flour mixture into hot liquid; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
Cut beef into 8 serving pieces. Serve sauce with beef and vegetables.
Because the grain in a pot roast changes direction, it isn’t always easy to get tender slices. To slice pot roast, place the roast on a carving board or platter. Hold the meat in place with a meat fork, and cut between the muscles. Remove one section of the meat at a time. Turn the section so that the grain of the meat runs parallel to the carving board, and cut meat across the grain into 1/4-inch slices.