- from How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 T olive oil
- 2 T minced anchovies, or to taste
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bits
- Garlic croutons
- ½ to 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Rub the inside of your salad bowl with the garlic clove and discard it.
Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Pierce a tiny hole in the broad end of each egg with a pin or needle and boil for 60-90 seconds; they will just begin to firm up. Crack them into the salad bowl, making sure to scoop out the white that clings to the shell.
Beat the eggs with a fork, gradually adding the lemon juice and then the olive oil, beating all the while.
Stir in the anchovies and the Worcestershire. Taste and add salt if needed, and plenty of pepper. Toss well with the lettuce; top with the croutons and parmesan, then bring to the table and toss again. Serve immediately.
- from Racheal Ray
- 2 pounds potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or softened cream cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup cream, or for a lighter version, substitute vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain them and pour into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.
While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef or lamb. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. If you are using lamb and the pan is fatty, spoon away some of the drippings.
Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.
Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned. Top the casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.