VEGETABLE AND SAUSAGE SKILLET
- 8 ounces low-fat kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
Cook kielbasa in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, turning from time to time, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add oil to the pan. Add onions, zucchini, bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice, beans and water; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add the reserved kielbasa and season with hot sauce.
They suggest serving it with some grated cheese on top and some warm cornbread alongside.
ITALIAN BAKED CHICKEN AND PASTINA
- from food network dot com.
- 1 cup pastina pasta (or any small pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cubed chicken breast (1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (about half a small onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for buttering the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until just tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Drain pasta into a large mixing bowl.
Meanwhile, put the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat.
Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the onions and garlic, stirring to combine, and cook until the onions are soft and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
Put the chicken mixture into the bowl with the cooked pasta. Add the canned tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Place the mixture in a buttered 8 by 8 by 2-inch baking dish. In a small bowl mix together the bread crumbs and the Parmesan cheese.
Sprinkle over the top of the pasta mixture. Dot the top with small bits of butter. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
GARLIC ROAST PORK WITH ROOT VEGETABLES
-from good housekeeping dot com.
- 1 (4-pound) bone-in center-cut pork loin roast, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled, halved, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut about ten half-inch-deep slits in the pork, and insert a sliver of garlic in each. In a cup, combine 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; use to rub on pork. Place pork, fat side up, in a large roasting pan.
In a large bowl, combine oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with sweet potatoes, fennel, rutabaga, and parsnips; toss to coat. Arrange vegetables around pork in roasting pan.
Roast the pork and vegetables 1 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of roast (not touching bone) reaches 150 degrees F. (It says that the Internal temperature of meat will rise 5 to 10 degrees upon standing.)
When the roast is done, place on warm large platter; and with a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to same platter. Cover with foil and let roast stand 10 minutes to set juices for easier slicing.
Meanwhile, add 1 cup water to drippings in pan; heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring until browned bits are loosened from bottom of pan. Skim and discard fat. Discard string, if any, from roast.
Serve pork with vegetables and pan-juice mixture.