- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 12 fresh asparagus spears
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon seasoned slivered almonds
Preheat a grill for low heat. Combine the lemon juice and olive oil on a plate. Place asparagus on the plate, and roll around to coat.
Grill the asparagus for about 5 minutes, turning at least once, and brushing with the olive oil mixture. Remove from the grill, and place back onto the plate with the oil.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach, Parmesan cheese, and slivered almonds. Cut asparagus into bite size pieces, and add to the salad along with the lemon juice and oil from the plate. Toss to blend, then serve.
AVOCADO AND HAM SALAD
- 1 cup shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup cooked mixed beans, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3 radishes, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 slice ham, chopped
Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl and serve cold.
- from The Classic Pasta Cookbook by Giuliano Hazan
- 1 lb. fettucini or tagliatelle
- 4 oz. asparagus
- 4 T butter
- ¼ c finely chopped yellow onion
- ¼ c finely chopped celery
- ½ c finely diced carrots
- ¼ c finely diced zucchini
- ½ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c heavy cream
- ¼ c freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 T finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Trim and peel the lower green portions of the asparagus. Cook whole in salted boiling water in a skillet until tender, then cut into ¾ inch lengths.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté to a rich golden color. Add the celery and carrot and sauté for another 5 minutes.
Add the zucchini and red bell pepper to the heat until all the vegetables are tender and lightly colored, about 10-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the asparagus to the skillet and sauté for about a minute. Add the cream and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cream has reduced by half, then remove from the heat and set aside.
While the cream is cooking, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan or pot. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the pasta to the boiling water in the saucepan, stirring.
When the pasta is cooked al dente, return the skillet with the sauce to medium heat, drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce, adding the grated cheese and parsley. Serve at once.