FREEBORN, Minn. (AP) – Fire officials say an uncapped sewage line was the cause of an explosion that injured a man last week near the southern Minnesota town of Freeborn.
Fire Chief Steve Seipp (SIPE) says that sewer gas had backed into the house from the septic tank. Seipp says the gas sparked when 75-year-old Ralph Yotter turned on a light switch Friday afternoon.
Yotter was burned on his face and body and was in critical condition Tuesday at Regions Hospital in St. Paul. His wife Patricia was outside at the time and suffered minor injuries.
The home was destroyed.