They have three purposes:
1. They are intended to be educational experiences to teach new turkey hunters (both youth and their guardians) the skills and
techniques to be life-long turkey hunters;
2. They provide first time turkey hunters a high-quality experience to help recruit them as hunters; and
3. They provide opportunities to access specific locations that may otherwise be closed to hunting, expanding hunter opportunity in
A youth must:
- Be 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 years old by April 20, 2013;
- Possess a Firearms Safety Certificate; and
- Have a parent, guardian or adult authorized by a parent or guardian who will accompany the youth hunter to the pre-hunt clinic/orientation and the hunt; and
- Youth must be a “first” time turkey hunter.
- Individuals may only submit one application, and may apply for only one hunt.
- Clearly indicate the hunt for which you are applying by writing the Hunt Area number in the appropriate space on the application or completing the application on Survey Monkey.
- Legibly provide all of the data requested on the application including: ID number, full name, date of birth, address, phone number and signature.
- Your odds of experiencing the hunt improve if you apply for an area outside the metro core area.
- The application/waiver must be received by: Survey Monkey, mail, fax or hand delivery by 11:59p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2013.
- Please only send the application/waiver.
- Eligible applicants will be selected by lottery in late February and will be notified by mail or e-mail. Only winners will be notified. In the winner’s notice there will be specific information about how and when to purchase your license at any DNR Electronic License System vendor.
- Each youth participant and his or her parent/guardian are required to attend an Advanced Hunter Education Turkey Clinic/Youth Hunt Orientation prior to the hunt. Details on those clinics will be provided in the winner’s notice.
- Each youth hunter/guardian combination will be assigned a volunteer mentor from the National Wild Turkey Federation. These mentors will have access to the specific hunting location that you are assigned. The mentor must accompany you and your parent/guardian at all times during the hunt including all time spent in the field.
- We have in the past had cancellations due to a conflict of schedules; please make the outdoors a PRIORITY and do not take away an opportunity from somebody else. If you apply……do what you say you are going to do. Volunteers have put in many hours of preparation making these outdoor experiences the best they can be, please be respectful of their time and efforts.
- If any of the above conditions are unacceptable to you, do not apply for this special youth hunt.
- You will make arrangements with your mentor to do any pre-season preparation, including scouting, pattern testing your shotgun and etc. The youth hunter and guardian pair is expected to be prepared with appropriate clothing, gear, firearms, etc. Do not assume that the volunteer mentor will provide everything you need, but if you need assistance, please ask.
On a separate note….if a youth is 17 and under, they did not need (and couldn’t) apply for the lottery because they can purchase a license for any one time period or location. So as a turkey hunting family….you can gobble up a good time without participating in the
Mentored Youth Turkey hunts because the hunt we’ve been talking about is intended for families and youth who would not normally have the chance and don’t know the first thing about turkey hunting.